Friday, January 16, 2015

Making God Real to Our Children


I remember hearing a boy, maybe 10 years old at a Vacation Bible School once say,

"Aww, Jesus is just like Santa Clause and Superman, he ain't real!" 

Oh how my heart just broke for that poor child! 

The adults in his life had lied to him, telling him myths and outright lies that he had doubtless put his trust in as a small child. When he got a little bigger and learned that those things were fake, he naturally began to doubt and question when another adult began to tell him about Jesus. How very sad!



As Christians, we need to be so careful in the things we tell our little ones! 


Never again in their lives will precious childlike faith come so easily to them.

How we present God to our children is so important. 


In my studying in Exodus this week, I have been challenged to help my children really see Who God is and what he has done so that they can truly know Him and begin forming their own personal relationship with Him.

I began thinking back to the certain destruction that Joseph had prevented from happening to the land of Egypt. Now this destruction was actually taking place all because there had risen a Pharaoh who knew not Joseph!

This morning, Exodus 10:1-2 really spoke to my heart.

And the LORD said unto Moses, Go in unto Pharaoh: for I have hardened his heart, and the heart of his servants, that I might shew these my signs before him:
And that thou mayest tell in the ears of thy son, and of thy son's son, what things I have wrought in Egypt, and my signs which I have done among them; that ye may know how that I am the LORD.

God was bringing about mighty destruction in the land of Egypt, but it was for a mighty purpose.

He wanted His people to later have something to tell their children and their grandchildren about God.

He wanted the children to know Him - to know He was real, to know His mighty power, to know that He delivers His people, and to know that they too can have Him in their lives!

We need to tell our children the things God has done. 


We need to share with them not only the things God did in days of old, but in our own lives. Tell them how God has answered your prayers. Teach them how God has blessed in your family through the years. Help them to see God's hand in their own lives!

Children need to see God, not as a fairy tale or myth, not as just another bedtime story, but as the true God Who wants so much to be their very best friend!

It only takes one generation not doing their part to teach their children to put an end to a Godly heritage in that family or nation. I pray that generation will not be mine!

How has God proven Himself real in Your life? How do you teach your children about God?

Linked Up at: Women Living Well, Fellowship Friday

5 comments:

  1. Hello!

    I am loving Good Morning Girls Exodus Bible Study too! God proves himself real in my life every day with my miracle child! She learns best with music so we listen to a lot of worship music :) Have a great weekend!

    Mommawonderings.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Candice! I am so glad you stopped by! I checked out your blog the other day. :) Sounds like God has been good to your family through a lot! Godly music is big at our house too. A great way to teach our children!

      God bless!

      Delete
  2. Came here from GMG. you're so right, it's critically important to help our children form their own relationships with God, something I've been slacking on a lot. Thank you for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I make it a HUGE point to teach our children that Jesus is NOT like Santa Clause, the Easter bunny, or super heroes, because I have heard this before. It is very said that someone has told these children this. When our first two children were born I struggled with the Santa thing, but we just make it way more about Jesus than Santa. Thank you for the post.

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts! I would love to hear from YOU!