Thursday, January 22, 2015

God Still Parts the Sea!

Today's Bible chapter in my Good Morning Girls Study was Exodus 14, and it contains one of my favorite Bible stories of all time!!!



Image courtesy FreeBibleImages

The children of Israel have just been miraculously freed from terrible bondage that has lasted 430 years! They look like a happy army as they leave Pharaoh and Egypt behind. They have God guiding them with a cloud by day and a fire by night. Moses is taking them from the land of Egypt to the Promised Land. It seems they are home free! Except...

Pharaoh starts having second thoughts. He has just freed his entire workforce! His slaves who had been building his monumental cities had gone free. Now that the initial shock of loosing his firstborn son had worn off, Pharaoh's stubborn pride returns, and he is determined to reclaim his lost property. He gathers up his army and chariots and takes off in hot pursuit of Moses and the Israelites.

God has lead His people into a place where they are surrounded by mountains and facing the Red Sea. Now they realize Pharaoh is behind them. They are trapped. No where to run. What should they do? Should they attempt to fight? Why has Moses brought them out of Egypt only to die here in this death trap in the wilderness?

The people begin to fear and cry out to the Lord and complain to Moses.

I love Moses' comforting words to the people:

And Moses said unto the people, Fear ye not, stand still, and see the salvation of the LORD,which he will shew to you to day: for the Egyptians whom ye have seen to day, ye shall see them again no more for ever.

The LORD shall fight for you, and ye shall hold your peace.


Then see the waters of the Red Sea stand up like two walls as God miraculously makes a highway right through the middle! The people are able to escape! And when Pharaoh and his men attempt to follow, God removes their chariot wheels and finally plunges the waters of the sea right down on top of them, burrying them forever. Pharaoh has finally received God's ultimate judgement, and the people are completely safe...without even having to put up a fight!

There was a situation in my own life where I felt like the people of Israel in this story. It felt like I was in an impossible situation with water all around and the enemy at my back...breathing his threats down my neck.

"Lord, why have you brought me here?! There's no way out! Did you bring me here just to have me suffer a disgraceful defeat??" Yes, I felt this way!

I had tried everything I could think of to fight tooth and nail to make things better myself. I put up a fight with the enemy...and failed. I tried to swim the water...and nearly drowned. All my efforts only made things worse. It was hopeless...I was trapped...no way out.

But then God simply says, "Stand still and see..."

And then God fought for me...

And then my Red Sea parted...

And then He led me safely to the other side...

And then I realized it was over...and I had not done a thing!

Just when I thought hope was gone, God had stepped in and made a way where there was none.

Praise God, He still parts the sea for His children!!!

God bless!

Linked Up at: Women Living Well, Fellowship Friday

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts! I would love to hear from YOU!