Friday, February 13, 2015

My Thoughts on Valentine's Day...

Tomorrow is Valentine's Day! A day we set aside each year to celebrate those we love. I pray that all of my readers are surrounded by the love of family and friends as well as the never-ending love of God!

Most of what I know about the history of Valentine's Day I learned from the Adventures in Odyssey episode The Last I Do. You can download this episode from Whit's End, it is a great story!

It seems the man we refer to as St. Valentine was a brave man who upheld the Godly institution of marriage in a time when it was being strongly attacked (sounds familiar, huh?!). He died for his faith and for taking a stand. Before he died, he supposedly left a note to a young girl who had befriended him in prison and signed the note "Your Valentine."

So in rememberance of this brave man, we give cards and gifts to our own "Valentines" each year.

Just what is love? I would venture to guess that more books, songs, and poems have been written on love than on any other subject. But what is it?

1 John 4:8 says it simply and says it best"God is love!"

If you have God in your life, then you have all the love there is both to give and to receive!!

I am thankful for my special "Valentines" this year!

First of all my sweet, handsome, precious husband! God has truly blessed me with the man of my dreams!! He is faithful, honest, strong, loving, gentle, and did I mention handsome?! :)

I will let you all in on the secret of what I am giving him this year (he's not into technology, so don't worry, he won't be seeing this before he gets his gift!). I got this cute idea from Angie at Real Life at Home. You write a love note and tell your loved one how many days it has been since important milestones in your relationship. (There's a link on Angie's site for a calculator that can help!) So I borrowed some markers from Big Brother and created a cute love note/card counting how many days since...

*We first saw each other
*The first time we spoke
*The first time he called me
*Our first date
*The first time we held hands
*The day he proposed
*Our wedding day



...you get the idea! :)

Then I closed the note by saying...

"And every single day...
I have LOVED you more!"

:) He will see it before he leaves for work in the morning.

And of course I am thankful for the love of my sweet little boys! I truly believe God gives us children to give us just a taste of what His unconditional love is really like. My boys are both so loving and sweet! Big Brother is full of energy, big ideas, and is a mamma's boy all over! Little Brother is my sweet baby, and he gives the most amazing sloppy kisses! Watching them learn and grow each day is my special privelege and blessing!!

Big Brother has made cards for all of us, but they are hidden and we have been told not to look for them! ;)

We look forward to spending some fun family time together tomorrow evening.

What are your thoughts on Valentine's Day? How do you celebrate those you love?

Be sure to follow the blog on Twitter!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts! I would love to hear from YOU!