Monday, March 16, 2015

I Will Give You Rest

Do you ever feel like you just have way too many irons in the fire? Do you ever get worn down from all the things you have to keep up with and take care of day in and day out? Do you ever find yourself feeling anxious, restless, or just plain tired?

I can answer yes to all of the above, and I have no doubt many of you can, too!



As a wife, full time mom (as if there was another kind of mom?), homeschool teacher, and blogger extroidinaire (just kidding!), I come to the point often where I feel like I am spent...like I just have nothing at all left to give. I have days when I do not feel well, I have days when I have been up with the baby all night and just want to sleep, I have days when those lovely little things called "hormones" just get the best of me and every little thing brings me to tears! I have days where nothing works right, days where I forget things and just really do not have it all together. Some days I feel creative, energetic, and capable; and some days...not even close!

I have several things on my plate right now including homeschooling an easily distracted 2nd grader, doing endless housework, nursing and chasing a very mobile 10 month old, planning both boys' birthday parties, keeping up with my online Bible study group, dealing with my husband working lots of overtime, planning our homeschool group field trips and activities, teaching a co-op class, reading several books I have to review, and maintaining this blog! I know many of you probably do a lot more, and you also have more children than I do!! (And you are probably even more tired than I am, too...wow!)

We all see moms out there with their Pinterest perfect homes and their seemingly endless creativity and energy. Sometimes I wonder if these moms ever have days like some of mine!

I said all of that to say I think the Lord probably had people like me (and you!) in mind when He said in Matthew 11:28-30:

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.


Rest...such a beautiful word that is to me! Jesus wants us to come to Him and learn how to bare our burdens with meekness and to learn how to find rest in Him.

Sometimes in all the busyness, the daily grind, the endless "to-do's," it really helps to slow down, step back, and just simply rest in the Lord! We need regular physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual rest in order to continue on in the tasks the Lord has called us to do.

Taking time out each day to read some Scripture (just a few verses or a chapter read slowly and meditated upon can bring often more strength than rushing through several chapters at a time just to mark it off your list!).

Naps are not just for babies! Mommy's sometimes work better after a nice quiet afternoon naptime, too! When Mommy is rested and happy, everyone benefits! Even when a full nap is not possible, at least take little opportunities throughout the day to just sit or lie down and rest. Breastfeeding has really been a blessing to me in this way as it really forces you to take time out to relax several times throughout the day.

Try to make some alone time for just you and your husband. Often just spending just a few precious moments with the man I love really brings back my smile, my joy, and my energy!

Spend as much time as you can in prayer daily casting all your cares on the One who cares for you! (1 Peter 5:7) There is great rest, peace, strength, and power to be found in just a simple whispered prayer from a weary heart! This is where we can really learn from the Lord and receive His blessing of rest.

So with the Lord's help, we can carry on doing what He has called us to do with joy. We can look at those not-so-good days as opportunities to draw closer to Him and learn of Him more. I am so thankful for the rest the Lord promises to His people!

Are you busy? Maybe too busy? How do you find ways to take time out to rest? What are the consequences when you don't?



Be sure to connect with me on Twitter, Pinterest, and Facebook!!

Subscribe to Shield of Faith Homeschool by Email!

Link Ups I Join - Modest Monday, Hip Homeschool Blog Hop, From House to Home, Women Living Well, Fellowship Friday, Weekly Wrap Up -, TGI Saturday, Share It Saturday, The Homeschool Mother's Journal, Mom 2 Mom, Growing in Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts! I would love to hear from YOU!