Monday, August 10, 2015

Joy Cometh in the Morning

For his anger endureth but a moment; in his favour is life: weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning. Psalm 30:5

It has been a while since I have shared any kind of devotion-type post or really shared anything personal from my heart. Today I felt impressed to share.

This past weekend I was very troubled and burdened. I am not going to go into details, but there is something I have been praying about for a very long time now. Little by little, I was starting to loose hope that this prayer would ever be truly answered.

Saturday night, I was weeping. Hopelessness and defeat were all I could feel. I felt so small and weak, and I was unable to carry this burden any longer.

I told my husband I couldn't sleep and went to the living room. I knelt down at the couch and poured out my heart to the Lord. My husband came to see where I had gone, and when he saw me praying he quietly left me to be alone with the Lord.

I had gotten myself all upset and worked up. I wept and told the Lord everything. I told the Lord I did not know what to do.

Now I did not necessarily hear what you would call an audible voice with my ears. There was no lightning or thunder. But a definite, clear thought came into my mind at that moment that told me exactly what I needed to do. It was as though the Lord spoke Psalm 30:5 to me right at that moment and then said, "What you need to do right now is go back to your room, go to sleep, and trust Me that there will be joy in the morning."

It was just me and the Lord there. I made the choice in that moment to claim His promise and to take Him at His precious Word. I told the Lord that was exactly what I was going to do. And then I thanked Him for whatever it was He was going to do to bring me joy in the morning.

So I went back to the bedroom much more peacefully than I had left it a few minutes earlier. I had this song rolling over in my heart as I went on to a peaceful sleep. Somehow I just knew there would be joy in the morning.

The next morning was Sunday. Somehow I was the last one to wake up and get out of bed. I immediately remembered the burden and my tearful meeting with the Lord during the night.

Would the Lord's promise be true? Or was it just wishful thinking on my part?

The first thing I saw when I stepped out of the bedroom let me know the answer.

It wasn't anything huge. There was no earthquake, no parting sea, and no flashing neon sign from God saying "Here's My answer!"

No, it was only something very simple that I just happened to walk out of the bedroom at the right time to notice.

Was it the full final answer to the prayer I had prayed for so long?! No, it wasn't. But it was definitely out of the ordinary, and it was unmistakeably a huge step in that direction!

And that same voice only I could hear in my heart of hearts seemed to say, "See there. While you were sleeping, I was working."

It nearly brought me to tears...but this time tears of joy! I quietly thanked the Lord and went on to get the family ready for church.

I am still waiting to see the full work the Lord is going to do. But I can have joy and hope in my heart to go on now.

Folks, I do not know who reads this blog. I have no idea what burdens and trials you may be facing right now. I do not know the answer to your personal problems and questions. But I do know this:

You can claim God's promises!

You can take His Word to the bank!

Even when you cannot see what He is doing, you can trust that He is working all things out for your good and His glory!

Yes we may cry. Yes we struggle. Yes we face things in life that we can do nothing to fix on our own.

But the good news is that God is there with us through it all! He can fix it! He can dry our tears and restore our joy!!

And He does it to remind us of that blessed someday when all our trials will be over, every burden will be lifted.

And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away. Revelation 21:4

Thank you for reading this personal testimony from my heart today. Has the Lord ever answered prayer for you or met with you in some special way? I would really love to hear about it!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts! I would love to hear from YOU!